Skip to main content

finished objects for tuesday!

well i've been knitting as much as 9 straight days at work allows. and i have a few updates to share. i absolutely flew through these socks for my sockpalooza 4 pal. they were so fun to knit and i think they look rather elegant in green. its just perfect that the only place with good natural light for photographs is my plant shelf ;)

a few details for you:
pattern: starting point - baudelaire
variations: knit toe up using my usual toe, i cast on more stitches, used a short row heel, and continued cable through extended 2x2 ribbing at top.
yarn: dale baby ull in deep green
needles: 2 knitpicks circs - zero's for foot and lower leg, one's for upper leg

see that nifty fossilized shell on the shelf. no idea where i picked it up or when but it stretches knitting nicely for stitchy closeup ;)


oh and if that comment about the cable in th erib made no sense...here's what i meant.



i'd also like to share my first completed hogwarts sock in hufflepuff colors.
drumroll please!


whew! i raced throught the feet of both socks so that i would have extra time to work on the colorwork and i am glad i did. the leg took longer than most do for me. i think its because i have a gimpy left hand and cannot knit continental style. which makes 2 colors at once a pick up and drop affair. yuck. but i love love love the colorwork and want to try something new. immediately. oh. yeah. still have to knit the second sock. oh damn. this is why i knit two at once. sigh oh well. i guess i can go start on sock #2's colorwork instead! this is tons of fun though. i wasn't sure how tall i wanted the socks to be and they are pretty tall i didn't measure but i'd like to say that the leg is probably...oh heck hang on let me go measure now i'm curious...wow huh. 10.5 inches. no don't worry i'll be able to make the second sock the same. i took notes. sort of. i tinkered with adding stitches to increas ethe leg size but i don't know my pal's leg size and hated ask afraid it might be obvious. so i just went up needles sizes at what i thought were appropriate lengths. 0's to 1's to 2's i know... me knit a sock on 2's? just don't tell ok. i'm afraid it might get out that i knit on big needles or something ;) the sock doesn't appear to get larger in the leg but it definately does get stretchier near the top an dyuo can get your foot through the leg. i tried this one on. its closer to my sixe than the sockpalooza socks so i took liberties. after both socks are done i'll be giving these a bath though so don't worry :)

Comments

WandaWoman said…
I like the Baudelaires very much. Just don't want to do the toe-up thing. The Red Herring sock is coming along great too! Can you be my pal? ;-)
Kate said…
The Baudelaire socks are gorgeous. I love the colour! And your Hufflepuffs are splendid. I really admire your knitting really long legs!

Your socks are blocking now, BTW. :-)
jen said…
Beautiful job! I really really love those hufflepuff socks, too!!
Very very nice socks!!! Do like the hufflepuffs with that colorwork.
Rebecca said…
VERY NICE Hufflepuff socks! YAY!

I have long wanted to knit the Baudelaire socks and your pictures make me want to give them a try. I have not yet knit from the toe up although I did start a blog group called My First Toe Ups to give me a boost to jump in!
Anonymous said…
I realize I have no right to talk since I don't have a blog myself, but can we get some updates around here? :)

Popular posts from this blog

space science and a little silliness {closed}

so i was reading some online news and look what i found! you've got to read this its about pluto . so my question is. what happens to the rhyme that kids use to memorize the order? i mean hello! My Very Ecellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas... just doesn't have the same ring without the pizzas does it? oh well. so i have a proposition . no no silly no tthat kind of proposition. dave would get mad! or at least i hope he would... anyhoo. come up with your own rhyme to help kids memorize the order. the sillier the better, and the winner will get something fabulous from my stash. wow. i've never had a contest before this is kinda fun! i guess i have to figure out a way to pick the winner. hmm. ok all entries that include the beginning letter of all the currently accepted planets and usues them in order will go into a hat. not the actual people who enter. thats a big hat. but all their entries :) and a random draw shall decide ok? enter as many times as you like. and have

stick a spoon in these and stir!

lots of sugar in my cappuccino please. or maybe iced. it has been a hot day... i guess as long as it is caffeinated it shouldn't really matter right? i think i deserve it! cause these babies are done! the venezia socks. or cappuccino as i call them. i used the pattern charts and just knit these up. for my second attempt at stranded color work i think they turned out great! if i had it to do over again i would probably have used a different pattern for the sole. the stripe is a little too bold for the swishiness of the instep and leg pattern. but hey. you learn. the specifics: pattern: chart from the venezia sweater by Eunny Jang yarn: sock it to me 4 ply in coffee bean and latte needles: knitpicks harmony circs size 1. socks knit as 2 magic loops simultaneously (these needles are actually growing on me) details: magic cast on 16 stitches in coffee bean, increase at edges on every row to 26 then every other row to 36 stitches. move one stitch from sole of sock(35) to inste
and a last farewell...before i ripped out sunrise circle i took a parting photo...this sweater was jus tnot meant to be. too many other things wanted to be finished first. soon to come the bad penny 2 that i'm making for my trip to italy!