Skip to main content

Hogwarts, hoggy warty hogwarts

so i was waiting to post about my outgoing and incoming hogwarts sock swap (year 2 swap) until after my pal received her socks. and then i was waiting on my package. and then i got busy with work and sleep and stuff. and then i got sick. so here it is. rather tardy. but here nonetheless :)

my pal and i had a rather rough road with this round of socks. here emmeline (stacey) is the saga of your socks

so i wanted to knit for you the eames pattern that my friend kate designed. and i soon found out that i am not cut out for mosaic knitting. sigh. the stitches were all wonky. the sock was completely inelastic. it looked generally like poo. i'm sure it's not the pattern. it has got to be me! so i sent you my copy of the pattern a new printout that is so a less mangled copy than my working copy in hopes that you will have better luck than i :)



and the sole was soooo friggin cute



oh well. frog time



next i decided that maybe i could replicate my color-work feat of year one. remember these guys?



it was going really well.



i even got clever and decided to have the stairs "change" like in the stories.



and i house striped the sole and everything. and they were crazy wonky too the tension was uneven throughout. i blame bad starbucks. but that's another story. and the sock was so tight through the heel no person could ever wear these super neat socks. double sigh.



so i opted for a simpler doable sock.



and with confidence i decided to do some colorwork



i was going for a cathedral window kinda stitch pattern to go with the hand stitched bookmark i did. i also sent along some coffee. of course and a hand painted bag. more on the bags later i swear.

and in return i received the bestest package ever!!!

my socks



side view



top view



they fit incredibly and they are gorgeous. she bobined those cables up the side can you believe it???

and i got the most gorgeous sock yarn



and a pattern that is likely to kick my ass and be absolutely incredible to work on. gosh i just hope i can do it!



best of all she sent along a hand sewn project bag. this puppy is perfect. it fits 2 sets of socks!



she also sent along the neatest bead bookmark that is sleeping in my harry potter book 2 as i type. yippee :)





Comments

WandaWoman said…
Oh my, that was quite the saga with those socks. They are beautiful socks that you knit as well as those that you received.
Anonymous said…
Oy! And I thought *my* sock saga was bad. I think all the versions of my socks were beautiful. Thanks so much again for a wonderful swap. Don't let that fair isle pattern intimidate you - I know you can whip it into shape. :)

Popular posts from this blog

space science and a little silliness {closed}

so i was reading some online news and look what i found! you've got to read this its about pluto . so my question is. what happens to the rhyme that kids use to memorize the order? i mean hello! My Very Ecellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas... just doesn't have the same ring without the pizzas does it? oh well. so i have a proposition . no no silly no tthat kind of proposition. dave would get mad! or at least i hope he would... anyhoo. come up with your own rhyme to help kids memorize the order. the sillier the better, and the winner will get something fabulous from my stash. wow. i've never had a contest before this is kinda fun! i guess i have to figure out a way to pick the winner. hmm. ok all entries that include the beginning letter of all the currently accepted planets and usues them in order will go into a hat. not the actual people who enter. thats a big hat. but all their entries :) and a random draw shall decide ok? enter as many times as you like. and have

stick a spoon in these and stir!

lots of sugar in my cappuccino please. or maybe iced. it has been a hot day... i guess as long as it is caffeinated it shouldn't really matter right? i think i deserve it! cause these babies are done! the venezia socks. or cappuccino as i call them. i used the pattern charts and just knit these up. for my second attempt at stranded color work i think they turned out great! if i had it to do over again i would probably have used a different pattern for the sole. the stripe is a little too bold for the swishiness of the instep and leg pattern. but hey. you learn. the specifics: pattern: chart from the venezia sweater by Eunny Jang yarn: sock it to me 4 ply in coffee bean and latte needles: knitpicks harmony circs size 1. socks knit as 2 magic loops simultaneously (these needles are actually growing on me) details: magic cast on 16 stitches in coffee bean, increase at edges on every row to 26 then every other row to 36 stitches. move one stitch from sole of sock(35) to inste

considering

i may be coming back. maybe. but not all the time. so don't hold me to anything. i never promised. but i want to share. sometimes. i think.